6 Social Media Trends for your Business in 2022
What we believe in…
It is a strange time for retail as purchases are no longer driven by price or convenience; especially amongst younger generations. It is safe to say “logic” is no longer part of the “why behind the buy”. Nowadays, brands have to emotionally engage with potential customers if they want to convert them. Studies have shown people are more likely to support brands that share their values and beliefs.
At Bexi we understand that brand-customer communication is no longer a one-way street, people like to speak up their minds and feel that they’re being listened to. Luckily, social media has become the perfect outlet to strike up conversations that can lead to meaningful connections between a potential buyer and a brand.
With many big companies stepping up their game on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and more, we’ve decided to level the playing field and give smaller businesses the edge they need to become the next internet sensation. In this ebook, you’ll find a compilation of Social Media Trends that your business cannot miss if it wants to stay relevant in 2022.
Jump on the bandwagon and get those likes flowing.
-The Bexi Team
What’s trending on social media?
We are living in an age where creativity and originality are valued more than big budgets and flashy productions. Don’t let your content become stale and repetitive and start thinking outside the box; this will certainly lead to more online engagement. Now, if you don’t know where to start, we are here to help.
A normal post doesn’t cut it anymore. Social Media has become like a buffet for content creators; new tools and features are added by the minute to help you engage with your audience and grow your community. As a brand, there are many dishes for you to try such as images, videos, interactive demos, live streaming, and more.
Social Media Trend #1: User Experience: Showcasing your product on video
If your sales numbers have decreased, you might want to look into creating short vertical videos that showcase the usability and functionality of your product/service. Instagram’s newest and most popular feature “Reels” yields great results (even if you don’t have a big following). But the biggest contender for 2022 in terms of reach and engagement is without a doubt TikTok.
But what does this have to do with User Experience? Remember, your product/service exists to fulfill a need or solve a pain in your customer’s life.
Cosmetic brands like Clarins knew this and decided to shift their communications into a more personalized online experience where their followers asked questions and Clarins’ Beauty team answered them by showing how to use their products.
To create engaging content that appeals to your audience, think about the following:
- What problems/needs does your product or service satisfy?
- What are the most common scenarios your potential buyers are most likely to be involved in?
- Does your product or service have a unique characteristic no one else has?
At Bexi we love this trend because it not only validates the reason to be of your brand but it’s an effective way to build a solid community that will see you as their only solution to a specific need.
Social Media Trend #2: Listen to your customers
Nowadays, customers expect more from a company than traditional advertising trying to persuade them to buy more. But many brands forget that a conversation is both speaking and listening. Yes, customers love when companies post amazing content but they also appreciate being listened to.
Start a survey and listen to what your customers say about you.
Having a conversation not only makes your followers happy, but it can also help you in many other ways such as:
- Reduce costs: User-generated content (UGC) is low cost and is the perfect way to increase the brand’s reputation and trust outside of your community as it shows there are committed customers.
- Provide Insights: By keeping track of the conversations you’ll gain first-hand insights that will help you build successful marketing campaigns and drive more leads in the future.
- Grant better visibility: Numbers are cold, but on Social Media, they are deceiving as well. By listening to your audience you’ll have true visibility of how many people inside your community are interested in what you have to say.
Are you interested in learning more about establishing meaningful conversations with online users? Take a look at our Design and Marketing Services and see how we can help your brand.
Social Media Trend #3: Not everyone is a millennial (or from Generation Z)
One of the current social trends are Baby Boomers with the highest rate of online shopping regularly.
In the past, marketers and brands used traditional media such as TV and Radio to reach these demographics. But as new technologies arise and new features become easy to learn, people from ages 40 and more are migrating their interests and hobbies to the internet.
If you are looking to increase your audience and grow your community, here’s what you can do to appeal to older generations:
- Talk about hobbies and interests: Stop dividing your community based on age. Instead, use common interests to grow and integrate the audience; social media such as Pinterest (which is the second most popular platform amongst boomers) is the perfect tool to create engaging content.
- Stop it with the stereotypes: With most marketers being under the age of 40, Generation X’ers are often portrayed as old people and out of touch with the current reality. But that’s just not the truth and displaying stereotypes might hurt the effectiveness of your social media strategy, in fact, many of these people do not consider themselves as “old”.
- Build trust: New technology and shopping options can be intimidating for people as they don’t know how it works. This is your chance to show why your audience should trust you and give you their business. Online reviews, a functional website, a comprehensive design across multiple platforms, and the ability to talk to a person are features people non-native to online channels appreciate the most.
Social Media Trend #4: Leave a positive impact on your community
In a recent survey, conducted by Deloitte, 60% of social media users mentioned they are most likely to support a company that is looking to improve the world we live in (especially after the COVID pandemic)**. Among their biggest concerns were: Healthcare, Unemployment, Climate Change, Economic Growth, and Personal Safety.
After the pandemic hit, people (especially Millennials and Generation Z’s) discovered how fragile society really is, and believed that those with the capacity of doing good for others should do it in a selfless way. This has resulted in a great opportunity for local brands to step up and show the big guys how it’s done.
Hootsuite decided to interview social media users and ask them about their interactions with brands on social media. Without skipping a beat, over 50% of the interviewees mentioned that their number one priority for a business is that they operate strictly following their core values and strive to make the world a better place.***
Marketing experts have called this: Social Consciousness
But be wary, never underestimate your audience, if you are not doing it from the heart, they will find out and drive your brand’s reputation to the ground. Be clear on how your brand and your employees are expected to use social media. These guidelines are especially helpful during a crisis, but they have a direct impact on the day-to-day.
But what about content?
Get involved and create amazing content that shows the love you have for your community (despite them being your customers or not), demonstrates how your employees are compensated fairly, and how your brand takes care of the less fortunate.
Social Media Trend #5: Fight the rumor, don’t spread fake news
The current pandemic has triggered the number of fake news and conspiracy theories and in 2022 it is expected that brands place themselves on the right side of the story and take an effective step forward in the fight against disinformation.
But how can you differentiate between real and fake news?
- Their origin is unknown as it has been shared countless times from many profiles. This phenomenon usually happens on Facebook.
- The profiles that are commenting on the news article look or sound fake. AI technology can be used to simulate conversations amongst users, but the technology is not perfect and language errors can be spotted within the comments.
- The article states a fact leaving no room for debate or critical thinking and has a negative undertone. We have rarely seen any positive fake news.
- The information has not been verified by reliable sources.
- They support political ideas, conspiracy theories or are looking to damage a reputation, product, brand, and/or personality.
Labeling and verification of information sources, transparency, social listening, and cybersecurity will be fundamental in this battle against fake news. Our best advice to you is to steer clear of controversial topics and avoid sharing any information from unknown sources.
Social Media Trend #6: Embrace the fun
Believe it or not: “memes” is the answer to create simple yet meaningful content that will drive up engagement and reach. In the last year, mentions of memes have increased by 26% and more and more brands are using them on social networks.
Memes allow you to reach new audiences in a less “corporate” way. Remember what we said about having meaningful conversations?
But be careful, because they are also a double-edged sword. Before posting, analyze the possible connotations that the meme may have and monitor the conversation for possible changes in the reception that could negatively affect your brand.
Video games as a media…
The confinements around the world by COVID-19 have caused a large part of the population to turn to video games to entertain themselves and distract themselves from the reality we live in.
This has led to the growth of large communities on Twitch, Facebook, and YouTube, where thousands of people meet daily and for several hours to also engage in conversation, debate, create and share content whilst a streamer is playing a video game.
The boundary between video games and social media is disappearing and brands are seeking new audiences on video game platforms to complement their social media strategy. Now with many people slowly going back to the office and school, marketers expected a decline in video game streaming viewership, but with Twitch getting record views, it looks that live streaming is a trend that will continue into 2022. Gamers will become key influencers as they partner with brands from all over the world.
There is no one-size-fits-all strategy when it comes to social media. But as expert marketers, we try our best to identify upcoming social social media trends that shift how users interact with brands online.
The purpose of this ebook was to not only show you how customers are changing and becoming more demanding. We want to provide helpful information that will guide you into building your business a successful online presence that yields results.
There are many ways to do it, from using simple memes to having deep conversations and taking a stand on controversial topics. But the main takeaway is to keep it real. After all, the best performing content on the internet has the following:
- Consistency: The message is clear as it matches the brand’s and its consumer’s core values.
- Original: No one likes a copycat, create your own content or give credit where credit is due. This last part applies to User Generated Content.
- Added Value: How is the user’s life going to change after viewing your content? Entertainment, education, guidance, or solving a problem are just some of the examples that add value to your content and make it stand out from the rest.
Last but not least, think about your audience but to the individual level. Who are they? What do they like? Are they interested in your brand? They are human beings, after all, not just some numbers behind a computer or smartphone screen. Involve emotions, tell a story or spark their curiosity with content and we guarantee you’ll see results in no time.